Saturday, September 3, 2011

Burritos- The Gift-Wrapped Food



I like to write about food a lot.  That’s because I talk about food a lot.  And that is because approximately 3 times a day I consume food- a lot.  Now for years I’ve run into the question “what’s your favorite food?” on random questionnaires, when playing getting-to-know-you games (sorry if the song from The King and I just popped into your head…whoops), or when someone wants to know what I’d like to eat.  Well, for everyone who I’ve told I didn’t have a favorite food, I have now settled down on something delicious and sometimes nutritious to call my number one.  And it’s burritos.

Burritos specifically are a food that I have engaged in a lot of discussion about.  Which is part of the reason I decided to officially declare them as my fav food.  Here’s the thing, if you think about it, burritos are the perfect food.  They’ve got several different food groups (vegetables, dairy, protein and grains), they taste delicious, and they’re packaged up all neatly, like a gift-wrapped meal.  How awesome is it to have all those amazing ingredients wrapped up so you can hold it in your hand?!  The answer is “very awesome" because 1) it alleviates mess 2) no utensils and 3) it’s gift-wrapped food! 

Burritos great for vegetarians (represent!), with an ample amount of protein in the beans, and for meat-eaters as well (as you can get just about any type of meat you’d like added, depending on the location).  Whether you make them yourself at home or order them out, burritos are customizable.  What, you don’t want the chunky salsa in your burrito?  Fine, it’s gone (although I’d recommend it- chunky salsa is delicious).  Oh, you want to add corn and guacamole?  Go ahead, the scrumptiousness has only increased exponentially.

Currently, I am surrounded by burrito places.  There is one near my apartment, and one by my school.  Needless to say, I plan on eating a copious amount of burritos this year.  I mean, come on, I did just officially declare them my favorite food, so I’ve got a right to eat a lot of them.  I encourage everyone to do the same, and since they can be customized to fit your diet, I see no reason why you shouldn’t at least give one a try.  (Except if you’re really allergic to a main ingredient, in which case I’m sorry for pumping you up about burritos just to let you down…still friends?)


BONUS TIP: Some burrito places have those delicious bottled sodas (Jarritos) – try one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment