Saturday, September 10, 2011

Inside My Head: Laundry Time!

Pack up the magenta laundry basket- light, dark, dark, striped light AND dark...hmmm, we'll wait on that one...  Top it all off with a towel (to keep underwear from falling on the street- duh), stumble out the door and down the stairs, then out the other door...and the other door...man, these doors are hard to open with the basket in my hands!  Stumble out the front door onto the sidewalk and pretend like the basket isn't heavy at all- I can totally handle it...probably.  Luckily the laundromat is a hop, skip and a jump away and the basket makes it there intact.  Does that kid go to my school?  Hmmm, he looks kind of familiar...oh right!  Got to put the laundry in the machine first, focus on one thing at a time.  Whoops!  Almost put the clothes in first- good thing they've got instructions on these old machines, otherwise  my clothes might have gotten themselves washed all wrong.  Alright, darks in one machine, lights in the other, detergent on the bottom, and now for the never-ending stream of quarters to make it go...  Laundry's in and getting clean, so it's time to take a seat.  Yep, that kid is definitely in one of my classes.  Does he recognize me?  I mean, my hair does look a bit ridiculous right now, but still...alright, he's definitely chosen to ignore me.  That's fine, at least there's no awkward small talk!  Guess I better get back to this textbook then, I won't look up 'til I'm done with this chapter- oh look!  Someone coming in to grab their clothes from the dryer, oh, they've got a mesh laundry-backpack, handy...back to the book.  Oh, and there's the kid who ignored me while playing the air drums, back from whatever mysterious excursion he decided to gone on for five minutes.  Finally!  The end of the chapter- time to check on the laundry...oh.  It's already finished.  That's awkward.  Hope no one saw me sitting here, waiting like an idiot for laundry that's already done.  Well, it's improbable they would have known that was my laundry...but still...kinda embarassing...anyway, time to move on to drying.  Two quarters should do the trick.  Or at least they better, because I'm too lazy to go over and get more.  High heat?...uh, sure, that'll probably do the trick.  Wow, done already?  That was faster than the washer for sure.  Oh...I see why...still damp...well, no matter.  I'll just hang 'em up to dry back at the apartment.  Don't feel like spending any more time here in that plastic yellow chair that keeps digging into my tailbone.  So, pack the clothes back into the laundry basket, don't drop the underwear on the floor...whoops...maybe this would work better with the basket on the floor...yeah, that works.  Towel goes back on top (don't want to drop any more undies), detergant goes in the side- whoa, that's heavier than anticipated.  Time to walk across the street and pretend it doesn't weigh a thing.  Ah...the door...prop the basket on my hip like a mother repositioning her 7-year-old who still insists on being carried, get the keys, turn the knob- and fall inside.  Repeat once more, then some stairs, then another door, and finally, back.  Adorn the apartment with clothes ranging from "I-laid-down-on-slightly-wet-grass" damp, to "I-went-outside-in-the-middle-of-a-deluge" damp.  Time for folding later when they're not so...damp.  Now, I need a cupcake.

The end of my laundry adventure.

Where my clothes ended up...


No comments:

Post a Comment