Friday, July 1, 2011

At Last I See the Light: Why Adults Need to Give Children's Movies a Try


To all of the adults out there…well, actually, just anyone over the age of about 12 or 13, I need to tell you something really important.  Just because a movie is animated and appropriate for children to watch, doesn’t mean that the movie is exclusively for the enjoyment of children.  If you hold the view in life that these animated movies with G or PG ratings aren’t for you, then you are missing out my friend, on some wonderful stories.

This is not to say that all movies marketed toward children will be enjoyed by everyone.  There are many movies with silly dialogue, clearly dumbed down for children, and awkward slapstick scenes where everyone ends up covered in food or slime.  But this holds for mainstream movies- there are always a few “fun” and “goofy” films out that you might go see if your friend asked you to go see a movie with them, but for the most part you couldn’t care less about.  So if you’ve had a bad experience with one of these dumbed down movies, and feel that “children’s movies” will never capture your attention, please try again.  I’ll give you specific instructions on how to find a great children’s movie.

1) Watch the trailer before going to see the movie.  If it makes you laugh, makes you think, or makes you make a noise similar to when you see a cute baby or puppy, then go see it.  2) The greatest children’s movies are usually from Disney, Pixar, and sometimes Dreamworks.  You can count on these guys like you can count on your abacus.  (Actually, those are two totally different kinds of counting…and I doubt you have an abacus…but anyway, you can trust them to churn out something good).  3) The best combo for children’s movies (well, actually any movie really) is a little bit of smart and a little bit of heart.  Movies that don’t try and condescend to the assumed intelligence level and knowledge base of children are way more interesting for both children and adults.  The jokes are funnier, the plot more interesting, and the characters are more developed.  Also, those movies that go beyond the superficial jokes and include genuine stories that tug at your heartstrings are always worth watching.  If I cried in movie theaters (something that I prevent myself from doing for some, probably deeply psychological reason), then I would have cried at most of the children’s movies I’ve seen in the past couple of years: Kung Fu Panda 2 (even better than the first), Tangled (just absolutely amazing, new favorite Disney princess), Toy Story 3 (best conclusion to a trilogy.  Ever.), Despicable Me (cute, funny, and heartfelt), Up (the main character is an old man – How’d they do that? Genius.), How to Train Your Dragon (comedic gags and misty eyes), The Princess and the Frog (that music? Yeah, I’ve got the soundtrack…), the list continues for a while, so I won’t go through everything.

I know that everyone has different tastes, because everyone’s different, yadda yadda yadda, but I think there are a lot of people who write-off these amazing movies marketed to children, just because they are marketed to children.  Let me reiterate: just because a movie happens to be appropriate and/or animated, doesn’t mean that adults won’t enjoy it.  Just try watching a Pixar movie (Cars excluded- that’s mostly for little boys for some reason), and not enjoying it.  I’m telling you, they’ve got the jokes, they’ve got the characters, they’ve got the heart.  If you haven’t opened yourself up to children’s movies, there’s some great cinema that you’re missing.

(...Also, you can keep me company when I go to see these movies while I'm surrounded by children less than half my age.  'Cause I've got to admit, that part is a little bit awkward.)

No comments:

Post a Comment