Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Many Faces of My Hair



Very recently I cut my hair about 7 or 8 inches, which was pretty drastic for me.  I really like having short hair for summer, but one of the really weird things about this new cut is that everyday it looks different.  I take on a new style/personality/persona every time I roll out of bed.  (Well, actually, that’s not true, because usually when I roll out of bed it looks the same every morning- which mostly resembles morning hair from sitcoms).  
What my hair looks like in the morning...
But so far I’ve gone through a couple different looks, and feel like for some reason they are affecting my personality…which is weird.

Look #1: Meg Ryan.  This was what I looked like when I first got my hair cut, and also a few days after.  Mostly Meg Ryan in You’ve Got Mail, where she’s got that short, late 1990s/early 2000s, flippy thing going on.  That’s what I looked like.  Which I said about a million times.  As my sister kept reminding me.  I’ve also heard Reese Witherspoon in Sweet Home Alabama, but that’s pretty much the same short, early 2000s, flippy thing, so I count them in the same category.



Look #2: Indie.  I don’t know where this look came from, but the day after I got my hair cut it all of a sudden the top layers curved toward my head while the bottom layer flipped out.  I accidentally went indie for a day.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I am generally a very mainstream person, and I kept getting confused when I looked in the mirror that I was actually staring at my own reflection and not someone who wears ironic hair bows and listens to bands like “Drowning in the Window” or “Your Blue Shoe”.  (Which by the way, I clearly made up, so I apologize if I accidentally referenced a real band).

Look #3: Classic Bob.  This one was not so much an accident as very purposeful.  So, I can’t give my hair credit for this one.  But let’s be honest, if I was going to wait until my hair straightened itself, then I would be waiting until pigs fly (which, due to crazy technology stuff will probably be about 3 years, so I’d be waiting about 3 years for my hair to straighten, and that’s far too long).  So I straightened it myself, and realized that I pretty much had a classic bob hidden under the flippy/curly layers.  And since this is kind of what I was originally hoped for, I was pleased.

Look #4: Baby Pigtails.  Ok, this didn’t just happen either, but it’s still another of the many faces of my hair (…does that even make sense?)  It’s basically the only “up-do” I can do; two itty bitty baby pigtails.  And they’re so cute and teeny I feel like I’m in kindergarten again, although I never had baby pigtails when I was little, so I don’t know where these odd nostalgic feelings are coming from…

Baby pigtails + Patriotism
Look #5:  The Air Dry.  When I let my hair air dry it looks…well…mostly good.  Good enough that I absolutely intend to do absolutely nothing with my hair on a regular basis.  It ends up a little bit curly, a little bit flippy, and it’s good enough for me.

Don't mind the awkward faces, just look at the (awkward) hair
So, the message for all of you out there trying to decide whether to cut your hair short for the summer is…(drumroll please!)….[maybe] DO IT!  I mean, I would tell you straight out to do it, but then if it goes wrong I do not want to be blamed when you look like a pageboy, so…yeah.  (But my doubly-unofficial advice is go for it.  Because everything I say on this blog is unofficial anyway.) 

Side Note: Also, if you can donate your hair, do it.  Because then you get a cool haircut, AND you get do something for others.  I’ve done it twice and loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment